Mahesh Ghattamaneni, better known as Mahesh Babu, is an Indian actor, producer, philanthropist, and a media personality. He is known mostly for his works in Telugu cinema. He also owns the media house ‘G Mahesh Babu Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Born to an actor father in Chennai, he became interested in a career in the entertainment industry at a young age. He eventually entered the film industry after receiving training in acting. He came to popularity with his role in the supernatural drama film ‘Murari’, where he played the titular lead role. His fame grew manifold over the years with roles in films, such as ‘Pokiri’, ‘Businessman’, and ‘1: Nenokkadine,’ and more recently, ‘Spyder’. Babu has won several awards throughout his career, including five Filmfare Awards, eight Nandi Awards, and one International Indian Film Academy Award. He has established himself as one of the leading actors in south India and is known as the Prince of the Telugu film industry. He has also been cited in the media as one of India’s most attractive male celebrities. Also a philanthropist, he is famous for his humanitarian works through his charitable trust and non-profit organization ‘Heal-a-Child’. He is associated with Rainbow Hospitals as well, as a goodwill ambassador.
Mahesh Babu was born on 9th August 1975, in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. His father Krishna Ghattamaneni is a well-known Telugu actor. His mother’s name is Indira. He has four siblings. He grew up mostly in Chennai, raised by his grandmother Durgamma.
He studied at St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School in Chennai. He made his debut as a child artist in the film ‘Needa’ in 1979. In the ensuing years, he continued acting in several films, such as ‘Shankharavam’ (1987), ‘Bazaar Rowdy’ (1988), ’Koduku Diddina Kapuram’ (1989) and ‘Anna Thammudu’ (1990).
He got his bachelor’s degree from Loyola College in Chennai. Following his graduation, he undertook acting lessons from director L Satyanand.
Mahesh Babu’s first important role on the big screen was in the 1999 film ‘Raja Kumarudu’, where he co-starred with Preity Zinta. It was directed by R Raghavendra Rao, and was a commercial and critical success. He received the Nandi Award for Best Male Debut for his performance. The next year, he appeared in two films ‘Yuvaraju’ and ‘Vamsi’ which were commercially unsuccessful.
In 2001, he appeared in the supernatural drama film ‘Murari’ where he played the lead role. The film was received positively by the critics, and Mahesh Babu, appreciated for his performance. He received the Nandi Special Jury Award as well.
In 2003, he appeared in the Telugu action film ‘Okkadu’, which was praised by the critics. It won several awards and was also remade in several languages. He won his first Filmfare Award in the category of ‘Best Actor-Telugu.’
His popularity reached an international level after his performance in the action thriller ‘Athadu’ in 2005. The film was a critical and commercial success. His next successful work was the action film ‘Pokiri’ which was a commercial success and also won several awards. He then starred in the successful films ‘Athidhi’ (2007) and ‘Khaleja’ (2010).
His next work was the 2011 action comedy film ‘Dookudu’. Directed by Srinu Vaitla, the film was a critical and commercial success. It won several awards and was also positively reviewed by the ‘Los Angeles Times.’ In 2012, he was seen in the commercially successful crime film ‘Businessman’. It was met with mixed reviews.
In 2013, he appeared in the film ‘Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu’ which was written and directed by Srikanth Addala. The film was not very successful commercially, but won multiple awards. The next year, he played the lead in the psychological thriller ‘1: Nenokkadine’. His performance was appreciated and is cited by the critics as one of his best works. The same year, he also appeared in the film ‘Aagadu’ which was a commercial failure.
He played the lead, starring alongside Shruti Hassan, in the 2015 drama film ‘Srimanthudu’ which was written and directed by Koratala Siva. The film was a commercial success, becoming one of the highest grossing Telugu movies of all time. In 2016, he was seen in another drama film ‘Brahmotsavam’.
In 2017, he was seen in the spy thriller film ‘Spyder’. Directed by A R Murugadoss, the film was an average success commercially. In 2018, he played the lead role in the political thriller film ‘Bharat Ane Nenu’. The film was a commercial success.
One of Mahesh Babu’s early works is the Telugu action film ‘Pokiri’, which was directed by Puri Jagannadh. The film also stared Ileana D'Cruz, Prakash Raj, Nassar and Sayaji Shinde. The story revolves around the life of an undercover police officer named Krishna Manohar who infiltrates a mafia gang headed by a don named Ali Bhai. The film was a huge success financially and also won several awards. Later, it was also remade in multiple languages.
Another successful work in Mahesh Babu’s career is the 2012 film ‘Businessman’. Directed by Puri Jagannadh, the film is about Vijay Surya (played by Babu), a ruthless man who comes to Mumbai from south India, aspiring to become a mafia don. The film was a commercial success and was later remade in multiple languages. With Mahesh Babu in the lead role, the movie also starred Kajal Agarwal, Prakash Raj, Nassar and Raza Murad.
Babu appeared in the psychological thriller film ‘1: Nenokkadine’. Directed by Sukumar, the film also starred Pradeep Rawat, Nassar, Kelly Dorji, and Kriti Sanon, in her Telugu debut. Babu portrayed a schizophrenic rock musician, missing 25 percent of his grey matter, who is convinced his parents were killed by three people. The film won several awards but was met with negative reviews.
Mahesh Babu married actress Namrata Shirodkar in 2005, after dating for nearly four years. They welcomed their first child, a son named Gautam Krishna in August 2006. Later, in 2012, they had a daughter named Sitara.
He is a philanthropist as well and donates 30% of his annual income to charities.
However, he chooses not to publicize most of his humanitarian activities.
He is also the goodwill ambassador of ‘Heal-a-Child’ foundation, which offers support for terminally ill children.
Mostly known as a peaceful figure, he kindled controversy when he allegedly raided two video libraries and also assaulted their owners for circulating unauthorized CDs of his films.
Babu was born on 9 August 1975 in Madras (now Chennai), Tamil Nadu, India. He is the 4th of the five children of Telugu actor Krishna and Indira, after Ghattamaneni Ramesh Babu, Padmavathi, and Manjula Swaroop and before Priyadarshini.
His childhood was spent mostly in Madras under the care of his maternal grandmother Durgamma and the rest of his family. Since Krishna was busy with his film commitments, Ramesh Babu used to look after Mahesh Babu’s academic performance. Along with his siblings, Babu used to play cricket regularly at the VGP Golden beach in Madras.
To spend time with him, Krishna used to make sure that his film shoots would be organized at the VGP Universal Kingdom during the weekends.
Krishna also made sure that none of his children would disclose his name during their schooling to ensure a peaceful environment. He was educated at St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai where actor Karthi was his schoolmate. Babu in an interview stated that actor Vijay and he have been longtime close friends and studied at the same college before settling themselves in their respective film industries.
Babu was an above-average student. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in commerce from Loyola College, Chennai. After graduating, he met with director L. Satyanand in Vishakhapatnam for further training in acting which went on for three to four months. Being incapable to read and write Telugu, he used to memorize the dialogues given by his directors during the dubbing stage of his films.
It has been reported that his yearly income is somewhere around INR 26 Crores. While his net worth is reportedly a whopping INR 127 crores. Most of his earning come from movies and brand endorsements. Mahesh Babu also takes homes the profit share from his movies apart from his acting fees.
Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx) INR 127 Crores (18 Million Dollars)
Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx) Under Review
Annual Salary INR 26 Crores
Luxury Cars INR 9 Crores
House INR 28 Crores
Income Source Actor, Film Producer & Philanthropist
He takes a huge sum of money for brand endorsement. Mahesh Babu has done multiple mainstream roles in movies which makes him one of the most versatile and talented actors in the field of Cinema. With such a huge profit and earning, Mahesh Babu is always on the top spot when comes to sharing, charity, and social work. Mr. Mahesh Babu is also on the top spot when it comes to paying Income tax, he is one of the highest taxpayers in the country.
Apart from acting in films, he has also acted in more than 10 television ads. If reports are to be believed, he is paid INR 35 crores per year for ad films only. Rumour has it that he was paid INR 2 crores for a 30-second ad last year. Mahesh Babu has 6 luxury cars worth INR 9 crores. He owns 2 houses in Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad worth INR 28 crores.
Telugu movie star Mahesh Babu is 44 years old and it’s hard for us to believe this fact because the guy doesn’t look a day older than 30 years. He is renowned for his dedication to the gym and for never missing out on a workout session or even a single meal in a day.
It has been revealed that the actor eats five to six meals a day, two of which are complementary shakes. Eating more often has lately been popularized as a healthy practice for fat loss and muscle gain, as it keeps your metabolism up.
Here is a detailed meal plan 0f Mahesh Babu:
Breakfast: Mush It is a dish made of oats, eggs, fruits, and nuts. Post Workout: Any Protein Shake Lunch: The source of any meat (chicken / fish / lamb) with carbs (brown rice / quinoa / crispy peal) Dinner: Any Carb Sources and Proteins It may be brown or whole wheat bread with eggs or chicken
* At the age of four, Babu toured the sets of the Telugu film Needa (1979) where its director Dasari Narayana Rao shot a few sequences of his as a part of the narrative in the appearance of the former’s brother Ramesh.
* He went on to perform as a child artist in the films Shankharavam (1987), Bazaar Rowdy (1988), Mugguru Kodukulu (1988), and Gudachari 117 (1989).
* He performed a dual character in the film Koduku Diddina Kapuram (1989).
* Babu then emerged in Bala Chandrudu (1990), and Anna Thammudu (1990). Later, he continued his college studies.
* In 1999, Babu made his introduction as a lead actor with the film Raja Kumarudu, directed by K. Raghavendra Rao and co-starring Priety Zinta. The film was commercially successful, and people started referring to him with the title Prince.
* He worked in two films the following year – Yuvaraju and Vamsi. Following their poor performance at the box office, Babu appeared in Krishna Vamsi’s Murari the next year.
* Babu had two film deliveries in 2003, the first one being Gunasekhar’s Okkadu co-starring Bhumika Chawla, which went on to become the highest-grossing Telugu film of the year collecting INR 23 crores at the box office. The other movie was Teja’s Nijam co-starring Rakshita.
* He chose to work in Trivikram Srinivas’s Athadu, co-starring Trisha Krishnan, whose script had been approved back in 2002 before the production of Naani and Arjun had begun. Athadu became one of the highest-grossing films of the year.
* Babu collaborated with Puri Jagannadh in 2006 for the film Pokiri, which was together produced by Jagannadh and Manjula.
* That same year, his next film, Sainikudu, co-starring Trisha, was released amid huge expectations but flopped at the box office.
* The following year Babu acting in the film Athidhi, co-starring Amrita Rao marking her Telugu debut. The film was produced by Mahesh Babu’s brother Ramesh.
* In 2008, Babu provided a voice-over for the film Jalsa directed by Trivikram Srinivas.
* After Athidhi’s release, Babu took a break from films for seven months, two months later, he signed Khaleja, but the break was unintentionally extended for two years due to several delays. During this time, Babu’s grandmother and his wife Namrata’s parents died. Krishna was worried about Babu’s career as the film’s shoot was delayed for so long.
* Upon release, Khaleja earned mixed reviews from critics and was a commercial failure in India. However, it managed to perform well at the overseas box office.
* Babu collaborated with Koratala Siva for the action-drama film Srimanthudu co-starring Shruti Haasan.
* Released on 7 August 2015, Srimanthudu opened to positive reviews from critics, was commercially successful, and he gained the Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu at the 63rd Filmfare Awards South, marking his resurgence.
* Babu acted in Srikanth Addala’s film Brahmotsavam co-starring Kajal Aggarwal, Samantha Ruth Prabhu, and Pranitha Subhash. Originally produced as a bi-lingual, the film would’ve marked Babu’s first straight Tamil film.
* He later emerged in the Telugu-Tamil bilingual Spyder, directed by A. R. Murugadoss, which finally marked his Tamil cinema debut and grossed over INR 113 crores at the box office.
* His next film was a political action drama Bharat Ane Nenu, directed by Koratala Siva and co-starring Kiara Advani. In this film, he played the role of a chief minister. It went on to become a hit and has grossed INR 225 crores, making it the 5th highest-grossing Telugu film of all time, Mahesh Babu winning the Dadasaheb Phalke Best Actor Award for his performance.
* His next film, Maharshi, was released in 2019.
* In January 2020 his new release Sarileru Neekevvaru earned INR 260 crores in worldwide box office collections.